Wednesday, October 1, 2008

honka for wonka


There are many random occurrences in our daily routines that can make life a little more extraordinary.

While on my way to the train this past august, Willy Wonka was parked right outside my place. What do you think he announces over his rooftop intercom system? Or what song do you think plays as he drives? Most importantly, WHAT WAS HE DOING OUTSIDE MY HOME?

In the spirit of random joys, here are some other things that have made me smile recently.

1. Nick Cave @ the Riviera, September 28th. I have always wanted to catch one of his shows...his ballads and screechers and beat poems and other diversities have repeatedly piqued my curiosity. So he didn't perform Nobody's Baby Now, but I was pleased nonetheless. He even includes a Charlie Manson lookalike among his Bad Seeds. Mr. Cave swaggered like Mick Jagger and beguiled everyone with Polly Jean Harvey gestures. Had they not dated I would swear they were born from the same initial group of cells. The opening band, Black Diamond Heavies, showed us what the world would have been like had Animal the Muppet played piano instead of drums.

2. Two movies. The Fall, starring the most charismatic little Romanian actress who absolutely MADE the film. And Young@Heart. One of the most endearing film experiences I've encountered in quite some time.

3. My brothers. My brothers are my sisters. Does that make sense? One brother in NYC went to his first psychic to celebrate his birthday. I imagine the experience as that of Peewee Herman stepping into the psychic's office as he went for advice on where to find his bike. The basement of the Alamo. Don't forget your wallet, Peewee. And the other brother, who is a longtime rock-n-roll show attendee extraordinaire, has become a grown up and started wearing earplugs at loud shows. In his most recent rock-n-roll excursion, he forgot about his earplugs, they got stuck and he had to have them removed by doctors.

4. Cost Plus World Market's brand of Nutella-like spreads. They have a dark chocolate version. Slap some a dat slop on your bagel or croissant and behold. It tastes like thick brownie batter.

5. The autumn. This is, by far, my favorite time of the year in Chicago. I don't fare well in the heat, and I love tall boots and scarves and the scent of leaves and HALLOWEEN and warm jackets and crunching leaves in my path and cuddling on the couch under the blankets with Eric and watching scary movies.

6. Barack Obama. What can I say? He is above all the madness and stupidity in the world and knows the profundity of human interconnectedness. Chicago's early voting starts after Columbus Day and you can bet your big tall autumn boots I'll be at my neighborhood library to seal my vote first chance I get.

No comments: