Sunday, June 7, 2009

Angling for an Angle

as I take a break this Sunday from freeze-drying my winter clothes , I find myself in a pensive mood....contemplating everything from an aching hip to work to deciding if i really want to hear Iggy Pop chante en francais.

Comme d'habitude, I'm all over the place.

It would be incredible to make a living from my creative energies, or at least I would think that to be true. But then again I look at the implications of adding 'business' to any kind of pleasure or hobby and the outcome, I would suspect, might be anything but joyful.

Do you ever watch that Simon Schama's Power of Art show on PBS? I look at our contemporary, lightning-speed society and I wonder where future masterpieces may be found. It's hard to say. What is fleeing from us now? The high cost of mega-wattage, picture-perfect celebrity or the slow-cooked souls standing in dim corners with empty pockets and displaced talent?

Too much to contemplate on a dreary June afternoon in the big gray city. I leave you with a youtube clip. The ballad of an unfortunate Extra, bemusing David Bowie into song. Bwahahaha....

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You and I have talked about this many times.
I still think about it all the time Nik, photography as a business.
I do worry that I may lose my love, but then I have so many different things I would love to do creatively, so who knows.
I think a lot of my problems come down to fear of rejection though to be honest.