Wednesday, February 24, 2016

1 year after a cancer diagnosis

Had my annual mammogram today.  I opted for a single mastectomy last year rather than bilateral because I spoke to a dozen breast cancer survivors who didn't choose the bilateral (double) option because, well, it seemed drastic.  They've been cancer free for many, many years.

Surely it probably eliminates what nervousness I endured today as they performed imaging of my existing other side.  Mammograms are about as pleasant as root canals.  But BAM!  Got the all clear:

Normal.

My oncologist expressed her amazement at how well I've handled this past year, and how more younger women are receiving a breast cancer diagnosis and how great it would be if I could talk to them. As I've told others, dealing with the mental health industry has prepared me for any future hardship.  I know what to do for support, and by golly, I know how to PROPERLY support others.

It's more than just caring about someone from a distance.  It's being there for someone that will help them get through.

Not just with cancer, but with all mentally exhausting hardships.  Including mental health crises.

No comments: