Thursday, August 15, 2013

Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity

I spent the most lovely afternoon at the Art Institute, hopping around to visit some of my old faves and taking a peek at the Impressionism, Paris, Fashion, etc exhibition which is going on through September.  I usually shy away from the big blockbuster shows because it's usually so crowded one can't even get close enough to read the curatorial blurbs about the artworks.  But I packed all my patience and curiosity to weave through the crowds and enjoyed it all so much.  I absolutely fell in love with this one:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shop_Girl_(Tissot)

....because there is so much going on, so many stories and sights to take in every day while keepin' shop.  It makes me smile when I encounter a painting that looks back at me like a mirror of sorts.

I remember visiting a museum in Rouen while I was staying there for a few months and catching my first glimpse of the old corsets made of iron. Quelle horreur!!  What various degrees of beauty we surpass over the eras...and how do these trends even begin?  How did the corsets and bustles aesthetics come to fruition?  Did it start in an instant with one very first painting depicting this new found 'beauty' in its image?  Especially after an era of the more 'plump' and natural images of women were recreated in paintings for so many years before?  It's just amazing to me how sometimes what seems such a superficial fashion trend can depict so much more as you start to discuss and peel away the layers...

I cannot comprehend all the modern fashion trends and the rage...the sensation...that they all create.  I look at fashion magazines and see clips of the runway.  I don't always get the appeal.  And I am certain I am not alone in this thought.  My very first trip I took by myself to Paris as a teen opened my eyes to a whole new idea of expressing oneself through individual style.  I remember standing in line in Passeport Controle at Orly and Betsey Johnson was standing next to me.  I remember the Parisian girl my age directing me to the baggage claim turnstyle and her red patent leather platforms.  Fashion is such a small detail in the big grand scheme of life and all things of utmost importance....but it certainly blends together to help create an experience.

No comments: