Thursday, August 6, 2009

Open Letter to Mr. John Hughes

Mr. Hughes,

My brother just called me up during my commute from that wacky North Shore and told me the news. My heart sank! You just called me dear a few weeks back! Here are the things I ought to have said to you a few weeks back when I waited on you in another Saturday night in the ol' life of this underachieving shopgirl:

This pile of Criterion movies you're purchasing....yours ought to be included in the Criterion Collection catalog. They are genuine classics.

Pretty in Pink...what a part of my life.... the North Shore and the divisionism of richies and those who'd rather just crawl under a rock. I often have Molly Ringwald moments at the ol' shop and I wonder what some of those customers might say if they saw where I lived. My husband looks like Duckie, you know. That may have even been one of the reasons I fell in love with him. I'm sure it was a topic of many discussions of what the world may have been like had Andy gone to Duckie instead....

Sixteen Candles...my favorite part of that movie is when the jock bullies are getting the Geeks out of the trunk of their car and the last Geek scoots over a little bit to assist so the bully can pick him up easier. Subtle hilarity is one of the greatest joys of my life.

Breakfast Club....I drive around the old haunts with my husband as we're out and about running our lil errands and on our way to losing ourself in the movie theater for a few hours.

Mister Hughes, it was a pleasure assisting you and I just wanted to tell you what a smile you brought to my face not only tonight but throughout my life.

Sincerely,
Underachieving Shopgirl, who hopes to one day be a CLASSIC like you.

PS. about that James Stewart box set....if you didn't finish them all here in this earthly realm hope you're sitting up there in Heaven watching Weird Science with Jimmy as we speak...

This one's for you...

No comments: