Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Ways to be a friend to someone dealing with depression

I've felt extreme isolation at times dealing with mental health issues.  I've faced judgment, felt misunderstood and felt weak so I've often kept things to myself or in the confines of a therapist's office.  I wish I had more friends with whom I could feel comfortable bringing up the subject but I really don't have much of that in my life at the moment.  Loved ones I've turned to have often dismissed Mental Illness and explained it as being a temporary, situational circumstance that will pass as soon as I 'get on the right path.'  I have a strong feeling that this belief is quite common.  The fact of the matter is that many people still do not believe mental illness to be a real illness.

Here's what I wish I could tell the world:

1. I wish I could talk openly and easily about effects of my medication with a friend.  The side effects can be just as excruciating as the depression or anxiety itself at times and what a relief it would be to be able to tell a friend, 'Hey, I am feeling Akathisia with this med I'm taking and I think I need to sit somewhere quiet for a minute and do some deep breathing.'

2. When something difficult has been brought up in talk therapy, I wish I had a friend to just mention it to who would just sit with me and be present in the moment with me.  I don't necessarily need to talk about it all over again, I just need someone else to know I'm feeling really fragile and vulnerable and having someone sit with me would be of great comfort.

3.  Having a motivator who understands my limitations would be helpful and inspiring to me in my darkest moments.  Sometimes the depression is so debilitating that I cannot leave the house.  But as the depression starts to lift with talk therapy, possible med tweaks and art/group therapies, I'd like a motivator around to say, 'Hey, the sun is shining and let's take a walk outside for a bit.'

4.  When the debilitating parts of the illness hit, I wish someone would ask, 'Hey, do you need any company?  Are you up for a game of scrabble?  How about dinner at your favorite Moroccan place - Take out?'

5.  I wish the workplace could develop a safe place to explain troubles with mental health as they coincide with stressors being caused by incidents at the workplace.  Some kind of sensitivity training for an appointed supervisor of some sort.  I know of many people taking anti-anxiety medications to deal with the stressors of the workplace.

The point is: when the Mental Illness brings about an episode, most 'friends' don't realize the suffering of ISOLATION taking place.  The tendency to steer clear is pretty common.  Obviously every person living with mental illness is quite different with different needs.  But from the peers I've met through support groups and group therapies, I've heard from many how the feelings of isolation bring forth pain.  Being PRESENT in a friend's life can be of great assistance.  Even if you don't feel like you know the most appropriate things to say, offering peaceful friendship and companionship is an amazing support in and of itself.

These are only my thoughts on the subject matter, and for what it's worth, I speak with years of experience...

No comments: