Saturday, August 1, 2015

So here's the thing about telling my story....

I have been trying to sort out ways in which I could recreate my experiences with mental illness in a constructive way that might be able to help others keep fighting the good fight.

But I don't have an ending yet, and that's the trouble I keep encountering.  Which is why I keep this ridiculously slow blog going so that a EUREKA moment might hit me one day.

I've been trying to get off Seroquel for over the past year with the assistance of my psychiatrist and I almost ended up BACK in the hospital the first go and had severe allergic reactions and panic attacks from hell during the second attempt.

Then I just went through breast cancer and didn't want to mess around with meds while I went through that.  But boy oh boy are there a lot of questions about long-term effects of psychiatric medications and overall health.

My psychiatrist has suggested I come off them and just go forward with PRNs for sleep and anxiety.  Which is completely different advice than former psychiatrists of mine would have given.  Quite frankly, I'm afraid to go off the medication because I hear voices sometimes that startle me while messing around with all these heavy-duty drugs.

So yeah, I'm taking my medication and commited to therapy and wellness and good diet and exercise and stress-relieving techniques and getting involved in support group and advocacy.  But it's all a balancing act and I haven't reach the top of the mountain yet where I would like to rest on the mountaintop and Tell My Story someday.

My Story intertwines a bit, and perhaps I need more to go on.  I need more to work with here.  Hmmmmm.

No comments: