Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Able to stand again

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in February.  After my diagnosis I took a weekend jaunt to Nashville and spent three days wondering what life will bring next.  I met with a dozen medical professionals the week of my return: oncology surgeon, two plastic/reconstructive surgeons, a genetics counselor, the director of the cancer center, social workers, my therapist, my psychiatrist, my primary care physician, and endless support networks.  This was my very first mammogram and here I am several months later, able to stand up straight for the first time since last Monday's mastectomy and initial start of reconstructive free flap surgery.  My dad asked for a painting and so that's my next project at the moment.  I'm going to have to borrow money since I'll be unable to work full time and this is my thank you to him.  What's it going to say/mean?

No comments: