Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Life versus illness

I've struggled with how much 'space' to give this stinking bipolar disorder.  There have been times in my life when it has absolutely consumed me.  Those times were usually peppered with erratic emotions revolving around certain med cocktails, and it was hard to not allow the illness to take over my life when panic attacks were occurring regularly and many nights were spent alone hurling in the bathroom from feelings of some kind of poisoning.

I know that the medication is necessary and I will not fight that.  But I still stand firm that I don't think every bipolar patient  always will require 4-6 different bipolar meds at one time.  Perhaps during an episode, but not for years after a hospitalization.

Resuming a normal life after a psych med stay is one of the most difficult parts of managing this illness.  I know that stability is certainly possible, but that shifts in brain chemistry are also possible, and being in tune with those changes and having the ability to nip them in the bud before things go too far is HUGE.  

And sometimes a med can just stop working.  

Focusing on living one's life is healthy.  Focusing on the limitations this illness brings is devastating, and I think the professionals need to focus on the Hope rather than the negativity of these illnesses.

No comments: