Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"When the company goes public....

"....you've got to learn to love what you own."

I think about 'going public' with mental health stuff all the time, but due to judgment passed upon me at several differrent workplaces over the course of the last 12 years in the Chicago area, I keep it to myself.  For now.

I am doing the NAMI Walk in Chicago this weekend.  I have two brave souls walking with me on my team, both of whom have personal connections to mental health issues.  And both of their experiences have been sad and tragic.

There's hope, you know.

God and Goddess knows there's enough bullshit to sift through as we navigate our ways through corporate pharmaceutical greed and finding a psychiatrist who BELIEVES in YOU as a human being and not a commodity is a big part of the process.  When my psychiatrist told me he inherited a lot of patients who he feels were unnecessarily medicated with two of the same type of drug I was like HALLELUJAH!  I'm sticking with this doctor!  I know I make him nervous with my questions about Seroquel and its link to breast cancer (do I need to remind everyone I had a mastectomy March 30, 2015?) but I'm still fighting the good fight.  And I know a little bit more about whom I can trust in mental health.

Anyway, here's the song I was quoting in the title of this post.  I'm not sure which version I like better:




No comments: