Thursday, November 5, 2015

Focus and determination

Those are the words that came up in my art therapy group piece last week.

Focus

And


Determination

I've already discussed with my therapist how writing and mania are intertwined for me, so I have to be careful.  I have so many ideas, observations, beliefs, theories, philosophies and ideals that I want to express, and at times they come roaring out of me like the TGV trains of France.

I've worked so hard my whole life, suffered through more than a few nervous breakdowns and hardships, and picked myself back up each time and returned Full Speed Ahead (or as much as possible while taking psychiatric medications.)

I'm in a leadership position at work at the moment, where I am required to continuously motivate and inspire staff.  Performing this role in a retail environment has forced me to block out all the critical voices that have inadvertently placed judgment on me for not being able to achieve a mightier role in life.

I was always taught to take pride in whatever job you find yourself doing, no matter what it is.  Maintaining this healthy trait lessens depression and anxiety, and gives me courage to teach this belief to younger staff who are frustrated at life post college.

No comments: