Sunday, November 22, 2015

Rise above the negativity

I live my life striving for everything that is ethical and fair, with care and concern for those around me, and I try to assist or nurture others when they may need it.  

When I am able.

Some days, I am too tired and need to rest to take care of my own mental health.  Today is one of those days that I just needed to sit down.

I work so hard everyday, I work many weekends because that is in the best interest of the business.  I take on added responsibility to help share the load with others on the team.  Sometimes I wonder why because 'teamwork' seems like an absent idea in many situations.

Mental health and wellness has become such a focus in my life because I am trying to fight the good fight.  Just because negativity surrounds so many people in this world does not mean one needs to succumb to it.  I fight that depression every day, and turn to my medical team and support groups for an extra hand when I need it.

I tell myself: Do at least one positive thing each day.  If you are able to do two positive things in one day, even better.  Keep increasing that number and it can only build from there.

Today my positive deed was subtle yet heard.  I moved my two bags from the seat next to me on the bus so someone could sit down.  He sat next to me, and said thank you.  And he really meant thank you.  Something in his voice told me he sincerely appreciated this very small gesture of politeness and for all I know that could have been the smallest, nicest thing someone did for him that day.  When my stop arrived, I told him and he stood up.  He said Bye as I left and I told him Bye.

This may seem like a stupid story, but when you walk in another's shoes and hear a heartfelt 'Thank You' from a stranger, for such a TINY act of courtesy to someone who may have just put up with a lot of difficult things that day, it can sometimes make a difference.

Or maybe it may not make any difference that day, but it doesn't mean you should stop doing it.

This life is hard, and people work hard, and I think we need to support people rather than tear them down for irrational reasons.  The tiniest gestures of courtesy help.

No comments: