Monday, April 28, 2014

Dreams.

We hear so often from so many people in this day and age how we should relentlessly fight to achieve our dreams.  Reach for the stars!  Reach for the moon!  Never give up!  I'm all for that, but it's the daily in-the-meantime thought processes that give me a headache.  Not only introspectively, but among those artistic people I encounter daily.

Sometimes I think people misconstrue these Dream Big messages.  Obviously working hard and diligently toward one's goals while never giving up is important.  But there is another reality.  Sometimes people have to juggle their dreams with a realistic paycheck.

In the pursuit of dreams, some people are neglectful or disrespectful to the other duties that a 'day job' requires.  There is an element of immaturity or self-centeredness that blinds the dream-seeker while they perform what they possibly deem 'menial' tasks.  I think that's wrong.  I don't think it's what adults should be teaching younger ones as they pursue dreams.  I believe one should appreciate EVERY opportunity and learn what one can from EVERY experience.  As the journey continues, enhanced perspectives nurture growth and enlighten The Path with every lesson, no matter how small.

Dreams require great patience, and in this day of instant gratification, some aren't willing to wait.  The days in and days out of our journeys will only frustrate  us if we can't learn to appreciate and savor every moment.  Maybe I've had way too much psychotherapy and have grown too too grounded for my own good, but there's a lot of crap to sift through out there.  I'm finally learning how to sort through all of it.

No comments: