Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mental Illness in Pop Culture

I remember the first time I got out of a two week stint in a mental hospital.  I was on a medical leave from a job and some coworkers invited me out to go see a movie.  After the movie, the first question they asked was:

So was it like that movie Girl, Interrupted?

This began years of all kinds of goofy interactions with people who were sorta afraid and sorta curious.  And there were quite a few who thought they could cure me by, uh, telling me there is nothing wrong with me and the doctors don't know me like they do.

I have finally accepted the fact that I have this 'thing' and while my husband doesn't really understand it, at least he'll visit me in a hospital and bring me clean clothes and do what he can to be there.  Which is more than anyone else has ever done for me....

Anyway, I'm watching this crazy Black Box tv show.  I am just sitting here shaking my head.  This is giving people a really really really really bad impression of what bipolar is.  Aie aie aie.


No comments: