Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Embellishing old paintings



Here's a bad snapshot of my current easel set up.  I started this painting in 1996 after visiting the Taos Pueblo during a trip with family to New Mexico.  There was an elder visibly pissed off at people taking photos of him like he was an animal in a zoo.  Despite his irritation people continued to take pictures and I decided I was going to paint it once I got home.  No photos for me, thanks.  This painting went unfinished for many years until I picked it up again a few months ago and started adding my own surreal embellishments which 18 years of experience have since colored my life.

It's a fun exercise to 'edit' paintings.  That odd little window stuck between nowhere special in the interiors of the home were probably a genuine point of perspective mistake I did at age 19, but now I kind of like it....

There's still more embellishing to do.  I'm having fun with this one.

No comments: