Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Music and Coping

It's summer in Chicago and I have begun my adventures of trying to soak up all the live music I possibly can.

I go through bouts of agoraphobia at times, during certain years of my bipolar/anxiety/trauma brain trials and tribulations, but I'm feeling pretty upbeat because I don't seem to be afflicted with that panic currently.

Saw a band last night, seeing one of my favorites tonight, seeing another band I love on Friday.  I'd love to pop by another favorite musician's concert next month too but I just can't rationalize paying so much for a concert ticket to see someone I once considered a friend.  That's just messed up...

I tried once to pick up a guitar and sing.  It didn't go well.  I am NOT a performer nor do I have any singer/songwriter talents.  I still have a student guitar that is sitting in its case in the corner of my living room, and every so often I'll try to tune it and play a little ditty.  Not for anyone but me.  Maybe my cat if she's in the room.  No siree, I am not cut out for that.  But boy do I enjoy watching others with TALENT doing what they do so well.

From a mental health standpoint, music and song lyrics helps those struggling find words and pitch to what they are universally experiencing.  That's really important, you know.  To be able to find an expression for what one is experiencing is of utmost, sincere importance, and I hope musicians can always remember that significance of their art and not get swept away with fandom adoration and enlarged ego.

No comments: