Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014, a space odd.....oh it's another new year

I'm not going to be like everyone else and make a long sappy list of New Years Resolutions.  But I do have some.  I always have them.  And I always work on them.

Ah, but it's another year in review.  2013.
1.  For the first time ever, I was laid off from a job.  Thankfully things fell into place quickly for me and I didn't even have to go on unemployment.   And I got a nice severance package which allowed me to have a little extra money for a few months.  That was nice.  I probably should have saved it and stashed it, but I ate a few nice meals, went to a few shows, and bought myself some new clothes.  I think that's allowed.
2.  I traveled around Texas with one of my brothers and my mom.  I came home with 20 new CDs because when I'm with my big brother, record stores are our priorities on the road.  Thanks Cactus Records in Houston and Waterloo in Austin.  Music makes me happy.
3.  I turned a part-time sales associate job into a full time Store Manager position in an awesome new neighborhood.  Just completed a hectic holiday season with little disruption.  And the owners gave me some new free clothes to wear.
4.  I started reducing my dosage of Seroquel and was given access to my own files by my psychiatrist.  He has given me the 'bipolar, in FULL REMISSION' status and has approved my slow tapering of all medication.  I'm still working on the dosage lowering, however, and it will probably take all of 2014 to be done.
5.  I kicked myself free of Ativan.  That was insanely hard.  You don't even want to know what that felt like.
6.  I became a member of REI and have made the outdoors my free gym membership.  I bought a book of 60 hikes within 60 miles of Chicago.  Of course my husband will have to drive me to each destination, but I have carefully instilled a Nikki's Urban Hikes training program into my exercise regime.
7.  As a result of number 6, my calves have grown even more Incredible Hulk-like.
8.  I saw The Replacements at Riot Fest.
9.  I started going out dancing late late late nights and early into the morning once a month.
10.  I did all that, but I'm still not one step closer to figuring out the big mystery of my life.

Will 2014 be any different?  Possibly, if I make it so.  How?  I dunno.  But I'm going to try.  First I need to make a pot of coffee and start this new day of this new year right.

Bonne Année, mes amis.

No comments: