Saturday, February 1, 2014

fulfillment

A group of kids from the ol' hometown are in the process of coordinating a high school reunion.  It's fun to check in on the plans and catch up with some old classmates.  Everyone is in a totally different place in life and we've all taken many different paths.  I don't remember a lot of people and don't really get to my hometown too much, but I might go.  I've got some time to decide.

I was never a person who really had a clear vision of what I wanted to accomplish in life.  Except that I knew I wanted to explore and try different things.  I've done a little of that.  I obviously don't have the means to travel the world like I wish I could, but I'm grateful for the few chances I've had to go to a few places on the world map.  I have a friend who writes a budget travel blog and it's wildly inspiring.  We worked together at an art museum years ago and while the pay may not have been a whole heck of a lot, the vacation time and PTO was pretty darn amazing.

I find myself in another career at the moment where vacation time is almost non-existent.  But I try to focus on the positives as much as I can.  In this current position I can:

1.  Hire and create my own staff.
2.  Promote positivity between women (both customers and employees) where we SUPPORT one another and boost one another's confidence.
3.  Talk to a wide variety of people every day.
4.  Be creative.
5.  Be analytical.
6.  Teach.
7.  Be a mentor to young girls as they pursue their career and artistic goals.
8.  Be on my feet and active and not constrained to a cubicle.

So when I think of the word fulfillment, I can find ways to take pride in whatever I find myself doing.  And I know that my life is not over.  There are still "things" I can do.

I can still explore.  I can still try different things.  And the people around me seem to understand.  To a certain extent.

No comments: