Monday, June 9, 2014

Great article to share

I connected with this piece on so many levels:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5393259?utm_hp_ref=tw

I hope that link still works.

Do I have to be extraordinary to be bipolar?  The media is saturated with mental health topics right now and those who live with mental illness are either deemed a criminal or a genius.  As the writer mentions, this is a terrible illness to live with and I absolutely hate it.  Thank you for stating this.

I am not a genius.  I am not extraordinary, other than the fact that I'm working very hard to be aware every single day of how I treat others.  I am working very hard to understand the perspective of where another person may be coming from.  I am working hard as I face SOCIETY each day to recognize where people tend to unleash their own viewpoints and project them onto others.  We become conditioned by so many things in life and it takes enormous courage to face and talk about them.

When people talk about bipolar as genius, they are only talking about a small percentage, and with tv shows like Black Box and Homeland they further exaggerate the depths of this illness.  It is not wonderful and many of us are not in high paying important positions like they are.  Many don't work because the implications of this illness are dreadful at times.  Let's get serious about it.

The number one healthy endeavor for dealing with my bipolar disorder is remaining grounded.  I have had some unique experiences, but I am, like the article says, not as extraordinary as people hope for me to be.  Please get the conversation going about how serious this illness is....not the uh, entertainment value of it.


No comments: