Monday, May 5, 2014

Conversations...

I was drawn to a poster at the bus stop the other day advertising a mental health organization driven toward fighting the stigma of mental illness.  I took out my phone and immediately found the Facebook page.  It seems like a valuable resource for information and partnership in battling mental illness, so I hope one day I can contribute to the cause.  Again, I'm not quite sure in what capacity I could participate in the conversation but I'm certain it will come to me, in the right time and place.  Meanwhile, I approach the subject when I feel it is appropriate in my daily life, and in my own small way, I am doing my part to fight a good fight and not let mental illness leave people in devastating ruin.

There are so many books and songs and movies depicting mental pain that I often feel like my own story does not matter much among the masses of others out there.  Like Mr. Morrissey said in his book, 'mental illness is art is mental illness,' or something to that effect.  It's true.  We create from painful places sometimes and it bonds the human spirit when we do so.  In my eyes, the conversation to start erasing the stigma of mental illness begins right there: in our art.

You can 'take a pledge' right here, if you want:

http://www.bringchange2mind.org


No comments: