Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday

Well, I think I'm about tapped out sharing my mental health experiences.  You know there's no cure for this, right?  I think there are people who think it will go away eventually.  Sure, things get better from time to time.  But then there is relapse whether it be caused by a stressful life event or the medication doesn't work anymore.  Also, sometimes difficult talks in therapy come up and it takes a few weeks to get over releasing something difficult.

I don't have a lot of energy.  I am sleeping a lot.  When I pop an anxiety pill it usually does the trick to help me when I'm feeling panicked with stress, but then I sleep.  A lot.  I guess I'm going to try the new medication on the market, and so I must prepare for some tough days.  

The positive talk surrounding mental illness is that it's treatable and people can go on to live full, meaningful lives.  I do believe this is true and it's great to be optimistic, but let's face the facts here: Not For Everyone.  I forget a lot of stuff and can't remember what I wrote where, but I remember writing about a woman I had met in the hospital once who was a lifelong sufferer of depression and her wrists were bandaged up.  She said to me, with a smile, "I really hope you make it."  It was as if she believed she would 'not make it' and was putting her hope out there for me to take.  It was devastating.  I know conversations with people living with mental illness don't hold much merit most of the time, but I still think they are important voices.  

I hope I can 'make it' someday.  And by 'make it,' I mean, in this order:

1. A strong support system.  I finally have medical support I'm comfortable with, but I still need friends.  Vague, anonymous well wishes from strangers on the internet aren't really very helpful.  I need friends to hang out with, go for walks with, talk to over coffee.  I don't have any of those.

2.  Better meds that don't make me more insane.

3.  A job where I'm respected, paid what I'm worth and earn enough to make a decent living.  I have $10 in my bank account right now.  Again.

4. Understanding and empathy.  Pipe dream, that one.

These things will get me started, at least.

No comments: