Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Creativity, mental illness and pain bodies

I don't read much new age-y, self-help stuff.  All I have to do is look at the Facebook feed of all my friends and acquaintances for a bombardment of information from a variety of belief (or lack of) systems.  I know a little bit about a number of things.  Spiritual growth is a lifetime thing, and I don't think people should be so judgmental about it.  Respect others' journeys...

So one day at work, this guy walks into my shop and introduces himself as the neighborhood shaman.  Nice guy.  Tells me that he wants me to know that I am loved.  He asked me about Eckhart Tolle's idea of pain bodies and, not having read about it, he explains a bit of it to me.  I'm not going to paraphrase or summarize - you can read about it yourself....

While it exists as an active and dormant existence in one's body, I was thinking about how others ignore their OWN emotional pain and feed off the pain of others.  It happens.  There are people out there whom others feed from.  It's part of some artists' creative processes.  And I think it's a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on another human being.  Why it happens...I don't know.  It's rather curious stuff.  Of course there are a number of people who will blame it on the victim, that of course others feed on vulnerable prey, survival of the fittest, all that.  But I do believe some approach life with an innocence of not knowing what they have stepped into...

So here's the thing:  I think those battling mental illness are among the bravest souls out there.  They are facing who they are daily.  They are admitting they are not perfect.  Those in treatment are dealing with their problems and doing their best to manage them.  They are brave enough to not be ashamed of getting help.  There is great pain and judgment faced among those facing mental illness, and I think we have a long way to go before people understand.

No comments: