Thursday, May 15, 2014

Medication

The question of medication sure does evoke a lot of bickering.  There are mental health care workers and pharmacists who SCOLD those living with mental illness regarding medication. They don't even know a patient's entire story or situation or medical history and yell at patients to exert their power over someone.

So here's the thing with the medication.  I have talked to different doctors over the years, more than a few in fact, to try and get more clarity on possible treatments.  One doctor in 2005 took me off all medication and I went on to live a full, happy, productive life for about six years. I traveled Europe, worked hard at my job, got married, found out I was pregnant and then miscarried and fell into depression again.  I eventually got back in treatment and went through trial and error medication cocktails again and again.  I made psychotherapy a regular part of my treatment and continue all these treatments still today.

As I mentioned before, I worked closely with my current psychiatrist to see if I could attempt another pregnancy and have tried, WITH HIS PERMISSION, to try and be med-free.  It's not working.  I stopped thinking about a pregnancy, ceased hope for one, and I am working in therapy to come to terms with this reality.    This is big life stuff here, and the professionals scolding me on this stuff don't know the full story.  

So what I'm saying is there is more than medication to consider.  Some professionals neglect that each patient differs and has a different, complex history and they need to take time to get to know patients as individuals.  Also, each medication affects each person differently.  I found a new psychiatrist after two years of one psychiatrist wouldn't listen to me about the terrible side effects I was having with a certain medication she swore by.  

The antipsychotic meds are so powerful. I'm pretty certain that once you go on them you can't get off of them.  I am trying to explain this to my regular doctor who treats my blood pressure and hypothyroidism.  She does not believe in this medication and is convinced I would do better off of it.

Contradictions everywhere.

No comments: